Re: GTK+ (Was: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6)

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 13:33 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I find GTK+ slower than Qt, yes, and also the overall "speed experience" is
> > much worse than OSX's and XP's (especially the 2.x series). I have talked
> > about this in the past but all we get from Owen in the bugzilla is "show me
> > benchmarks" and "prove it with some code", which obviously doesn't help
> > normal users (non-programmers) to explain the slowness. I have used GTK+ on
> > a variety of distros and OSes, on a variety of hardware with the same
> > result: slowness (comperatively of course), ugly redraws etc. I don't need a
> > benchmark to prove that the GTK+ application experience *feels* slower than
> > the competition's: I have my eyes for that (for example, when I right-click
> > on galeon or abiword or *any* other heavy gtk app I can visibly see the
> > popup context menu coming up and *then* populating its entries with text --
> > that's just plain ugly).

<..snipped>

> If we know that Gtk+ is not to blame for popups, then we need to
> pinpoint what is wrong with the other applications, and I believe that
> this is what Owen is after.   We do not know what is it that you feel is
> wrong.
>
> On the same machine, KDE feels a lot slower, so I am not sure what
> exactly is the problem that you are raising is.  And without more actual
> data, it is going to be hard to tell.

I agree with Miguel.
I am running both KDE (3.2 branch) and GNOME (HEAD) - and I feel KDE
(especially Konqueror as a browser) to be slower in many respects.
The only part of GNOME that can be abominably slow is GEdit using syntax
highlighting. I think some more work is needed there.

-sdg-