Re: Translations of folder names - re-hiding special directories

 --- Ryan McDougall <NQG24419 nifty com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-14-12 at 16:39 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > > I would like to say that I'm totally against the assumption that being a
> > > shell user implies you can speak English.
> >
> > But this is already a fact of life with the shell. Directory names, files
> > names, executable names and their options are already based on knowledge
> > of english. The shell is a bad UI and a badly-internationalized UI. Adding
> > one or two more folders is not going to make much difference.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Murray Cumming
>
> Do a ls on "/usr/bin" and tell me thats English. Ask some English
> speaker off the street what those commands do based on what little
> English you can pick up from it.
>
> Just because the shell is currently badly internationalized doesn't mean
> we should make it worse, and get in the way of making it better later.
> Directory names in English in the $HOME is precisely what we're
> currently arguing about (any directories outside of $HOME are far less
> relevant).
>
> Maybe you don't care so much about foreigners putting a foreign language
> in your $HOME, but I'm thinking some people would, and I'm speaking up
> for them.

C is far less localised than shell and many people manage it just fine (or far
better than just fine) with no real understanding of English. translating "echo" or
"strlen" or similar doesn't really give you much (and i despair at the thought of
localised '/etc').