Re: Trash applet and Trash icon: d'n'd

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 16:06 +0100, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 05.12.2004, 14:32 +0100 schrieb Luca Ferretti:
> > Il giorno dom, 05-12-2004 alle 12:28 +0100, Vincent Untz ha scritto:
> > > Hi,

> > > It makes sense. Or we could simply remove the trash from desktop.
> >
> > Here is /apps/nautilus/desktop/trash_icon_visible GConf key

> > > Well... Why can we add multiple menu bars? I agree that this is useless
> > > most of the time, but how can you easily limit the number of instances
> > > of an applet, usability-wise? If you remove the applet from the "Add to
> > > panel" dialog, then the content of this dialog changes depending on the
> > > applets already in use by the user. Not very intuitive...
> >
> > Oh, no, sorry. I was thinking something like a "Really add another Trash
> > applet to panel?" warning dialog when you try to add a second applet.
>
> To bark in, does the trash applet hold any useful information of its
> own?
> If not, I'd suggest to, when adding a new trash icon, just get rid of
> the already existing trash applets/desktop icons, whereever they are.
> If used together with dnd, this should look like 'move'.
>
> As a user I hate confirmation dialogs, more so useless ones. Dont ask
> 'should I unbreak the desktop?' when it has 2000 trash icons, 1999 being
> useless :)
>
> More so since (I think) no information is lost at all when removing the
> dupe applets.
>
> Now if the user tried to remove the *last* trash icon, *that* would be
> something that would perhaps be eligible to asking first since it needs
> a bit of thinking to get it back afterwards.

Why limit this at all? Multiple trash applets might be quite useful on
multihead setups. I don't see the problem with allowing several applets.
Its easy to remove them if you managed to manually add them.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking guerilla inventor moving from town to town, helping folk
in trouble. She's a high-kicking extravagent magician's assistant from Mars.
They fight crime!