Re: New window placement (was: Re: Focus stealing prevention)

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:06:36 -0800, Rob Adams <readams readams net> wrote:
> I find that this algorithm makes it exceedingly easy to make good use of
> all the space available on both screens.  A simple "always on current
> xinerama" policy would simply encourage users to use only one xinerama,
> which is really just silly.  If you have two monitors, why not use them?

Because my wife is watching the B&B show or "Salatut Elämät" on it,
not to mention that it's situated so that my head would fall of if I
tried to actually look at it from my comuter desk.

Seriously, I would love to keep a xinerama setup (twinview actually)
mostly because it would allow me to watch my videos on the TV screen
at the same time my wife checks her emails. Two things prevent me from
doing so:

1) No "use only one xinerama for placement" option Metacity
2) Loss of a border of my monitor (I use them to have fitts [...]
well, you get the point ;)

Point 1 in effect hides windows from me, since I don't see the xinerama at all.

Point 2 could possibly be countered with losing the bottom border,
which is not so important as I have nothing there, and point 1 by
filling the "extra" xinerama with a maximized window, but that's are a
hassle to set up. As would be a separate xinerama-enabled X screen.

Note that I'm just bringing up this for fun, this is not exactly a
typical use case. I'd still love the option though.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi