Re: New window placement (was: Re: Focus stealing prevention)

På Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 07:28:09AM -0500, Larry W. Virden skrev:
> From: uws <uws xs4all nl>
> > Another Metacity enhancement request: open new windows on the screen the
> > mouse cursor is on. A lot of new windows are placed on my secondary monitor,
> > while I'm working on the first one.

> > Is this a useful feature for Metacity?

> Perhaps this needs to be a preference.  I know myself that I want
> new application windows to appear on the same monitor and
> workspace as the parent application window .

Sounds reasonable. The case I was thinking of was:

- Start an application using a keyboard shortcut (I tend to use meta-[qwert]
  for menu, web browser, nautilus, run dialog and terminal)
- Hit the key combo again because you didn't see the terminal window popping
  up on my secondary monitor.

Now I end up with two terminals windows :(

So, the question is: What to do with new windows that don't have a parent
window? I think we have two choices:

1. Same monitor as the mouse pointer
2. Same monitor as the current activated window

I think option 2 is the best choice. If no window was active, metacity could
use option 1.

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl

please don't bother trying to find her :: she's not there         -- zombies