Re: Making nautilus faster with large directories

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 17:05 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 09:46 +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > > I sent this mail to nautilus-list proposing an optimization that should
> > > make the situation a lot better but got no answer:
> > > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2004-November/msg00074.html
> > >
> > > This should be considered for 2.10.  Any thoughts?
> >
> > The thing you mention about gthumb doing this exact thing is precisely
> > why I dislike this idea.  gthumb's behaviour when it comes to thumbnails
> > is the SINGLE MOST ANNOYING[1] thing about the program.  In short, my
> > CPU time is meant to be used.  Any second my CPU is not doing a 100% is
> > processor time I paid for that got wasted.  Especially if I have to
> > *scroll down* to make the program actually thumbnail what I want to
> > preview.
>
> Is this still the case if you're on a laptop running on battery power?

It should be my laptop's problem to handle that, not my application's
problem.

[And I completely agree with Thomas that this is totally annoying in
gthumb; it's obvious that icons being shown should be /prioritized/ but
that should not stop you from rendering everything else once the ones
being shown have been rendered. If my computer was twiddling its thumbs,
and then I scroll around, and then /my/ time is wasted while I wait for
things to render, something is broken.]

Luis