Re: remove libgtop_names ?

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 01:49 +0100, Beno�Dejean wrote:
> Le samedi 04 d�mbre 2004 �7:04 -0500, Curtis Hovey a �it :
> > On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 21:19 +0100, Beno�Dejean wrote:
>

> > As it is in the desktop release, you can fix them or mark them as
> > deprecated if they are public APIs to preserve GNOME 2.x ABI
> > compatibility.
>
> It's public global variables (extern declaration in .h) in a static
> library.
>
> How can i mark global vars as deprecated ?

Wrap the variable, function, code in a preprocessor symbol. Compile.
Watch what breaks, and mark the rest of the code that uses it deprecated
too.

#ifndef GNOME_DISABLE_DEPRECATED

/* This var/function is deprecated.  Use the new
 * var/function. */
gboolean my_var;

#endif

> BUT looking at libgtop.pc or libgtop-2.0.pc, they never contained
> anything about libgtop_names.a. The only software that uses
> libgtop_names.a is an example and the path to the static library
> (LDFLAGS) is hardcoded. So it's very unlikely that somebody ever used
> it.

It is unlikely, but someone may.  We are upholding a contract that all
GNOME 2.x API is ABI compatible.  Something written in a laboratory
against GNOME 2.0 will work if it is installed on GNOME 2.10

> libgtop has a lot of code/files that were never used. Never used for 6
> years or at least since gnome-2.0. So i think it would be safe to remove
> it.

Mark the dead code as deprecated.  You may even move the code into
other .h and .c files to isolate the vestigial code.  When GNOME marks
3.0, you may purge the dead code entirely from the source.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.