Re: ARC & GNOME [Was: How we make decisions...]

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:36 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:22:08 -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
> >      - Using `pkg-config --libs libgnome-2.0` on GNOME 2.2 brings in
> >        liblinc, which is gone on GNOME 2.4 and up.
>
> Yeah, this one is very annoying. New GNU linkers (after may or so) have an
> option which will strip these at build time. apbuild also removes them
> though its mechanism is a bit fragile.
>
> Unfortunately there are quite a lot of broken libraries out there which
> don't fully specify their dependencies in the ELF headers (!!!) and
> break unless you complete the set for them when compiling your own
> program.

Slightly off topic, but...

Something I've been considered for a while now is a site dedicated to
packaging and developing software that's easy to package and install.
Not something for a specific format, but more for the general issues.

Said site would include things like your paper on library development
and other articles and HOWTOs and such for developers.  Something else
I'd love to have is a compilation of popular software packages with
marks for which of the "main rules" they break (or if they break none
and are perfect) and use that as a sort of evangelism/hacker
coordination center for people who want to fix things up.  Also host
lists and forums for packaging coordination and documenting the de-facto
standards for third-party packagers and so on as well.

I just lack a host or the funds for a host to do any of that.  :(