Re: Copyright assignment

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:44 -0700, Rob Adams wrote:

<snip>

> If
> we add BSD licensed code to the platform, we are allowed to license it
> under the GPL, and contributor contributions could be protected by the
> GPL.

So you're saying that we should only accept a project under the BSD
license into the platform if we first fork it and release under the GPL?
That is precisely what I was disagreeing with.

> I do think that allowing contributors to always license under the GPL is
> an important goal for the project.  We shouldn't require that they allow
> a less restrictive license to their code, since it undermines the
> intentions of creating a GPL desktop in the first place.

Okay, so there's two issues then.  But this one isn't personally
important enough for me.  (I prefer the GPL to the BSD license, and I
will definitely spend more time hacking on GPL'd ones than BSD'd ones,
but I don't care enough to exclude projects that have a different
preference than I have.)

Cheers,
Elijah