Re: updated MIME plan

Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> writes:

> On Fre, 2004-04-23 at 22:28, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > I just updated the proposed MIME plan at
> > http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/
>
> That looks very promising, cool. One thing I'd add to the "Add new
> Application" and the "Open with other Application" dialogs is a list of
> known applications, like we already have it in the "Run Application"
> dialog. I suppose that many users don't know all (or any) file names of
> the executables, so it's IMO wise to add such a list. Perhaps it even
> makes sense to show the list always (not as in the current "Run
> Application" dialog).

I specifically didn't add the list when doing the mockups.  The
expectation is that most applications that are able to register
themselves with the application menu are also able to register
themselves with the correct mime-type.  Listing a large number of
applications would increase the noise of the dialog, without actually
providing value.

Thanks,
-Jonathan