panel startup time

Hi,
	I've just had a look at an strace of the panel[1] starting up to to get
a rough idea of where time is being spent.

	I thought I'd post it here because people might be interested.

	The big hitters are:

     => Owen has a proposal that should go some way towards fixing this:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2004-April/msg00065.html

     => I was sure we did this *after* the panel started up - we
        probably should too ..

     => It looks like one of my font caches may have been invalid and if
        it wasn't for that this figure would be more like 1%

     => Nothing obviously stupid going on here, but it would certainly
        be something worth looking more closely at.

	Here are the figures (in miliseconds) for each individiual stage of the
startup:

  105 - loaded libraries from disk
   44 - initialized i18n stuff
   33 - connected to the X server
    8 - initialized the ORB
   56 - initialized gnome-vfs and others
   14 - connected to the session manager
   25 - initialized GConf
   20 - registered with bonobo-activation
   17 - loaded the panel icon (involved initializing the pixbuf loader)
    2 - interned a few atoms
  109 - gtk+ theme loading (stock icons, engine, gtkrc file)
 1085 - loaded the Bluecurve theme's .icon files
  509 - loaded the gnome theme's .icon files
  359 - loaded the crystalsvg theme's .icon files
  767 - loaded the hicolor theme's .icon files
 1601 - loaded the main menu (.menu files and .desktop files)
   36 - loaded panel configuration
  683 - fontconfig loading
   38 - some pango initialization
    6 - various X roundtrips (could be creating the panels)
   82 - load applet's configuration
    4 - talked to the session manager for a bit
 2059 - load applets and launchers in an idle handler
 ----
 7710

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - this is latest Fedora Core 2 Raw Hide - so 2.6.0