Re: Yet more gnome-control-center string freeze breakage

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:55:06PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> <rant>
> It seems the gnome-control-center maintainer decided that three string
> freeze breakages during the last week wasn't enough, so yesterday he
> applied another patch with two new strings, just to rub even more salt
> in the open wound of translators and openly show the disrespect for
> freezes and the work of translators alike.
>
> No, I'm not kidding. The yet another string additions are for real (see
> below), and so is my amazement/frustration/sadness over the whole
> situation. Of course anyone can make mistakes, but the failure to
> comment on any of the already reported breakages, and the continous
> committing of even more freeze breakages on top of the already reported
> ones, sure would look suspicious to most people.
> </rant>
>

> There has been an unannounced string freeze breakage in the
> string frozen gnome-control-center HEAD branch.

> #: libbackground/applier.c:577
> #, c-format
> msgid "Failed to open file '%s': %s"
>
> #: libbackground/applier.c:615
> #, c-format
> msgid ""
> "Failed to load image '%s': reason not known, probably a corrupt image file"

This patch is primarilly concerned with fixing support for svg
backgrounds properly.  Chris did some nice work on it and it too was
marked as blocked for 2.6.0 code freeze.  In the process of working
though the morass of control centre bugs I didn't consider the new
error dialogs enough to notice that they were being translated.

> I strongly suggest these string additions be reverted immediately and
> only be applied to HEAD after gnome-control-center has branched off for
> gnome-2-6.

I'll disable the translation of the error strings until we branch.
The patch will remain in.

Christian please relax I'm easy to reach and could have been
contacted in a less flamboyant manner to point out your concerns.
At this rate you'll be accusing me of fornicating with sheep in the
middle of the local <insert place of worship> by tommorow.