Re: GNOME Run Dialog, su, uris, tabs, files and GNOME 2.6

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 18:45, Sven Herzberg wrote:

>   I'm currently working on a tool to replace the GNOME Run Dialog in
> 2.6. My main goals are to create a run dialog application that supports
> the following:
>
>  * run as
>    use a lib that the gksu-team is currently working on to provide
>    that.
>
>  * tab ompletion
>    tab completion should be added to make users start their
>    applications faster
>
>  * uri support
>    should be possible to open any gnomevfs uri with the right
>    application
>
>  * file support
>    should be also able to start abiword if i select a .abw file
>
>   If you have any opinions about that, please reply. If we can make
> changes to our goals earlier we'll end up in a cleaner dialog.

Seem like reasonable goals but I'd say you definitely want to dig
through the list archives and cvs history a bit; that dialog has been
rewritten and massively patched _so_ many times, you wouldn't want to
make the mistakes of the past. ;-)

Also I think the "run as" feature is a pretty hard/complex issue.

Havoc