Re: Volume handling proposal

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 16:49, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > what about using 2 icons for each drive? One that shows an open drive,
> > and another one actually showing the media (a CD, floppy, ...). I
> > suppose that could make clear to users what the status of the drive is.
>
> Yeah. That sounds like a good idea. Actually i think windows does this.

Hmm, personally I find the Windows model somewhat inconsistent (and I
don't think it does show 2 icons for removable media, btw, although I
don't have it in front of me to check)... to me, the My Computer view
kind of mixes "an incomplete list of things that are attached to your
computer" and "some of the places that are currently available to store
stuff".

I don't think I've ever found the ability to click on the icon for an
empty drive to be useful, and if I want to know what drives are
connected to my computer (with or without disks in them), there's a
separate hardware view which gives me more complete information than the
My Computer view ever will :)

The "attached but empty" icons admittedly used to be handy to check if
the plug'n'play device you just plugged in had been recognised, but
nowadays in XP you get notification in the status area for that kind of
thing anyway.

Cheeri,
Calum.