Re: Volume handling proposal

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 18:01, iain wrote:
> I dunno, it might be nice to have a CD on the desktop, you click on it
> to open it and if no CD is in, then the CD tray opens and a dialog says
> "Please insert a CD"

Argh... regardless of where the icon would be I don't reckon this as a
good idea:

I've suffered cursing from someone using Windows who couldn't find her
files on the floppy.
When I asked her if she had inserted the floppy, her answer was "I don't
know, the floppy icon is there regardless of the floppy actually being
there".

Besides the point of typical /luser/ stupidity, it shows that a
persistent icon is confusing.

Now, I can understand that one would do that for floppies since most
floppy drives do not give any signal when a floppy is inserted (which I
think all Apple floppy drives do), but devices such as cdroms?

Rui
+ So let's do it...?