Re: GtkFileChooser API work

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 20:13, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 17:26, Mark Roach wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I know you asked about those particular points, but I had a quick
> > question that I was hoping you could answer. Mount points are a useful
> > tool in the filesystem, and within nautilus it is great to be able to
> > make mount-point-like items by creating a "link" (Launcher? not sure of
> > the right term) to a gnome-vfs location which, within nautilus, "acts"
> > just like a directory.
> >
> > Will it be possible for the file selector to treat these links the same
> > way, possibly putting them in the directory column instead of with the
> > files? I imagine that could be tricky, since the file selector would
> > have to read at least a portion of each file since links don't seem to
> > use any particular file extension, (but you would know more about that
> > than I) but I think it would be a very useful feature and make nautilus'
> > and the file selector's behavior more alike.
>
> I don't know what you are talking about.  Are you talking about symbolic
> links?

No, I'm talking about a launcher that links to a remote file system.

For example, right click on desktop, choose "New Launcher" set Type to
Link and url to a gnome-vfs-able url, such as ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/

If you click on this launcher within nautilus, it will take you to that
location, displaying it like a folder (which is why I made the
comparison to symlinks). If you click on that launcher using the file
selector, it results in the contents of the launcher file itself being
loaded.

Without support for these launchers, I guess you would have to
"bookmark" the http or ssh or smb location in some file-selector
specific way or else type them in manually every time you wanted to
select files from that location.

-Mark