Re: background control

You can do that with gconf-editor. Go to /apps/nautilus/preferences and
uncheck "show_desktop" (that's with nautilus 2.4, maybe different for
you).
As for "background controlled by an application", I'm not sure you need
that. Just make sure your module gets launched everytime you login (run
it once and check "save session" when you logout).

Seb