Re: GnomeVFS backend for GtkFileChooser

Chipzz wrote:

Nobody mentioned the approach taken in the following patch yet though..
I saw it pass on the debian-gtk-gnome mailinglist a couple of days ago:

http://members.chello.nl/~h.lai/gtkenhancements/

What is being done is just copying the needed structures to a header
file withing gtk+, and opening the libraries at run time if they exist.

While I agree it is an ugly hack, I DO think it's the best approach: we
don't introduce a (build-)dependency on gnome-vfs in gtk+ or vice versa,
and as an added bonus pure gtk+ apps can benefit from the extra functio-
nality without having to depend on libgnomeui (for the icons).

I think you get the best of both worlds this way, but I'm afraid it will
be shot down with the argument of "ugly hack" :/

As the author of the patch, I have to agree that it *is* an ugly hack. :/ It also makes the code very complicated (if statements everywhere).

In my opinion it belongs in libgnomeui.