Re: Proposal for inclusion of gmodconfig in GNOME 2.5

Julien Olivier wrote:
Hi Cyril.

I appreciate your efforts and I really think gmodconfig could be a very
interesting application (at least for me). Now, I'm just wondering:
wouldn't it be smarter to make your app export plugins so that external
apps can use it in there preferences. Let me explain: for example, any
camera software (GPhoto ?) could use your application (as a plugin) to
add a "configure your camera". I think it's more logical to tweak your
camera setting from your camera software than from a kernel module
tweaker... I mean, who knows that kernel modules are there to tweak your
camera options (yes, you, me, some other geeks too, but not my mum...) ?
In the same way, it would be interesting for a TV application to use
your app to embed preferences to set the type of TV card.

What do you think of that idea ?

Hi Julien,

I think it's a good idea. Other examples include configuring a webcam
from within gnomemeeting, or a scanner from within gimp.
This would indeed be a more user-friendly way to configure a piece
of hardware.

Per Andrew's advice I'm looking into HAL: http://hal.freedesktop.org/
I suppose an application could ask HAL which module corresponds to a
certain device, load up gmodconfig for that module and embed e.g.
gmodconfig's notebook widget. Implementation-wise this could be done
by turning part of gmodconfig into a GNOME component for example.

Cyril