Re: Proposal for inclusion of mozilla-bonobo in 2.5

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 18:47, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Given that in the core desktop we are moving away from embedded views,
> I'm not sure this is a good idea at all.  Generally, if I have a file, I
> want to view it in a real window, not an embedded stripped-down "view"
> in a web browser.

Well, it's not my decision to make - I'm just proposing it since I find
it useful, and since I think it provides functionality that is present
in other desktops but not in Gnome.

> Are there any cases for *requiring* this functionality in order to
> browse a site?

No. It can replace non-free plugins though (like the Acrobat Reader
plugin), and it's convenient for taking a quick look at documents
on the web (although that's a matter of preference).

In some cases it might help bring more applications to use bonobo,
since some developers *really want* their app to be embeddable in
mozilla. Instead of writing their own mozilla plugin, they can
now write a bonobo component and have it work in mozilla and
in the rest of the desktop with no extra effort.

Cheers,

Christian Glodt