Re: Proposal for inclusion of mozilla-bonobo in 2.5

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 17:47, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> Given that in the core desktop we are moving away from embedded views,
> I'm not sure this is a good idea at all.  Generally, if I have a file, I
> want to view it in a real window, not an embedded stripped-down "view"
> in a web browser.

No, we are moving away from embedded views *in the file manager*. The
web browser is not a file manager and navigation is same-window, as
opposed to nautilus where it is spacial-different-window. So we're using
a different metaphor, and this was (I think) noted by the nautilus team
when they first proposed going spacial. So the paradigms are different.

It's a bit odd for some links to open in a new window while others are
same-window; since HTML hyperlinks are same-window, it makes sense to
have idiot-obfuscated-format hyperlinks be same-window too. Also,
opening in a separate application frequently involves downloading the
file to a temporary location and opening the file, which will confuse a
program if it expects to be able to edit it. (This is for applications
not fully supporting GNOME-VFS.)

> Are there any cases for *requiring* this functionality in order to
> browse a site?

Yes, some sites embed a file which just results in a broken page for
browsers without a plugin (which in linux distributions is frequently
the case).

--
Andrew Sobala <as583 cam ac uk>

Given by our hand in the meadow that is called Runnymede, between
Windsor and Staines, on the fifteenth day of June in the seventeenth
year of our reign.