Re: In search of tutorial, document, etc. for communicating startup information to gnome

Well, it kind of depends on what kind of application you're writing.  I
think that gtk and probably qt will let you do it as another post
described.  Otherwise, metacity and a number of other window managers
support the EWMH (Extended Window Manager Hints) specification, which
includes a mechanism to set the workspace:
http://pdx.freedesktop.org/Standards/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s05.html#id2767822

Just set this X property on the window before mapping it and metacity
will put it onto the appropriate workspace.

-Rob