Re: Module proposal: CVSGnome

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 02:06, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> Hello,
>
> please allow me to jump on the Wagoon of the Module proposals for a
> moment. OK I know this doesn't directly affect Modules inside GNOME
> directly (e.g. Applets, Tools and Programs used _ON_ the Destkop) but I
> think I'll take my chance to bring up CVSGnome in the round.

About time IMO.

> You know that I've been working on CVSGnome for over 3 years now.
> Maintaining it, releasing new versions of it and helping people to find
> their individual solution to build and install GNOME.

Was and still am a big time user and supporter of CVSGnome.

> This can also be seen as promoting GNOME in the public, helping people
> to set up GNOME in case they have problems finding RPM's, DEB's and so
> on. Unfortunately I personally feel that my work isn't being honoured
> the same way than other "similar" solutions. I have already a picture of
> why this to be the case (no, I don't think that it's my fault) but I
> would like to NOT get into this yet and wait for first reactions (in
> case someone likes to reply).

I just think maybe you didnt push its use hard enough. It has been and
always will be my recommendation to users. I have features CVSGnome is a
few talks on Gnome in the past.

> But after 3 years of CVSGnome, the large userbase that I got and the
> proven acceptance of thankful people who got their GNOME set up and
> running by using CVSGnome - I do think that it's about time to give it
> the same right of acceptance being listed as 'Build Solution' on the
> pages where also GARNOME and JHBUILD are listed. I don't see any reasons
> why this can't be done. You don't lose anything and only gain more
> accpetance in the public. In case something fails the user can try an
> alternative solution and may be more successful with what he/she was
> trying to do. This is a general benefit not only for a single person, no
> there is a benefit for the entire community. GNOME is who benefits from
> it.

It is a win-win situation indeed. This just adds one more option to the
Gnome community for getting the stable to latest and greatest Gnome. I
second the motion to add this to the page with Garnome and JhBuild and
will even fill out the nessesary bugs and or patches to make this
happen.

--
Sean Harshbarger		|   "Only two things are infinite,
harshy dersoldat org		|   the universe and human stupidity,

Key fingerprint = 086A AA96 51DD D84D 3E64  1B26 778F 2335 C828 E736