Re: new menu spec in 2.6

+++ Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:47:47PM -0400 +++
Damian Christey e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> There seems to be several areas of overlap between menus (the current
> .desktop file format) and bookmarks where it would be advantageous to
> have a common file format and VFS backend.
[...]
> If bookmarks and menus could settle on a unified file format and VFS
> backend, they could also share an editor.
[...]
> I don't see any reason to distinguish between Favorites and bookmarks.
> Being able to get to your bookmarks from Gnome's main menu would be
> Really Cool(tm) in my opinion.
>   Further more, I don't see why every application (looking at you,
> Nautilus) should have to keep it's own set of bookmarks.
>
> One bookmark/menu specification to rule them all!

Seconded completely.

However, I understand that this would be a cross-desktop issue. Am I
wrong to presume the most likely cross-desktop bookmark spec we might
settle on is XBEL? That in turn doesn't look like a good format to do
menus with.

mawa
--
Isn't it strange that a lot of the people who condemn Netscape because
they "don't want to read mail or news with a browser" read their mail