Re: ngettext revisited

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 23:36, Danilo Segan wrote:
> уторак, 30. септембар 2003. 20:34:10 CEST — Christophe Fergeau написа:
> > Same question as last time, is there some gnome module really low in
> > the dependency stack (intltools comes to mind) which checks if
> > ngettext is available? There isn't much point in duplicating a check
> > for ngettext in all the apps/libs using it imo.
>
> I don't think you consider a check to be a problem (Adding
>
>  AC_CHECK_FUNCS(ngettext[,ACTION-IF-FOUND[,ACTION-IF-NOT-FOUND]])
>
> to configure.in or configure.ac doesn't seem like a big deal), but
> rather, you want to make it run even if there isn't ngettext.
>
> This seems to be contradicting to me. I.e. you want some "essential"
> part of Gnome to require ngettext (meaning it won't work without it),
> yet one line is too much for you to achieve that same goal ;-)
>
> This one line is all you need to do to get over with it. If there's no
> ngettext, you're done, no need to check for anything else. Build fails.

Is this really true? I though there was a problem with the pofiles
generated with an ngettext supporting gettext that made them
incompatible with older gettexts.

Is this not true?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a maverick Amish dwarf plagued by the memory of his family's brutal
murder. She's a mentally unstable punk mechanic with a song in her heart and a
spring in her step. They fight crime!