Re: Proposal for inclusion in desktop: gnome-keyring

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 14:14, Danilo Segan wrote:
> Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:
> >
> > The main reason I wrote this code, and why I'm proposing it for 2.6 is
> > that I need it in order to make the authentication mechanism and
> > process authentication sharing in gnome-vfs work in a sane way.
> >

> Since this is not going to go in platform for 2.6 (as you say), I
> wonder what's the general guideline for dependencies of platform
> libraries (like gnome-vfs, libgnomeui, etc.).
>
> It seems to me that this would introduce a dependency of developer
> platform on the desktop tools — is this not strange? ;)

It is a bit strange. And I guess it makes libgnomeui depend on the
specific version of gnome-keyring, so they would have to be upgraded in
lockstep. However, there is never any dependency on an app using the
public stable API on something that could later make it not work.

> Okay, this would be no major problem, since gnome-keyring would be
> considered just a thing some platform libraries depend on.
>
> OTOH, I really dislike the term "keyring" as something that a general
> user is going to be exposed to: perhaps something like "password
> management" is more suitable? If you want to point out that "it's not
> only passwords, you ...", there should still be something better than
> "keyring" (like "secret [Gnome] management" -- this would bring more
> users to it at least :)

Sure, we might be able to come up with a better term for the user
interface. KDE uses "wallet" and macos X uses "keychain" (at least in
their apis).

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal vegetarian ex-con gone bad. She's a time-travelling
African-American widow on the trail of a serial killer. They fight crime!