RE: vcard-integration for gnome

> > > implements
> >
> > This looks like a bonobo or CORBA server. Is there any particular
> > reason that this needs to be a bonobo server? That does make it
> > difficult to wrap for language bindings.
>
> We made it a bonobo server to get async and threaded
> communication so we could minimize blocking.  The actual bits
> a developer needs are straight C, none of the bonobo bits
> (basically just the POA definition in the instance struct)
> actually need to be wrapped.  For instance, the C# bindings
> do this (they don't have a bonobo wrapper either).

This all sounds very good to me. These API don't need 100% scrutiny anyway
because they would go into the Desktop rather than the platform, like
gstreamer currently is. [1]

I think maybe the APIs should one day be in a GNOME namespace rather than an
evolution namespace, before they are moved into the Developer Platform, but
I don't see a need to worry about that until then. Hopefully we will have
gained lots of experience by then so we can put the most perfect data-store
thingy in the Platform.

[1] Hopefully gstreamer can move into the Platform for 2.8. I wouldn't like
the waiting-to-get-into-Platform queue to get too big.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net