System Tools (was RE: GNOME System Tools 0.29.0 "Where's my hack? ?" is out!)

garnacho tuxerver net wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:07:52PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What about the earlier question about whether we can take the tools
> > separately? I'd be in favor of including the network and time tools
> > for
>
> Independently of the tools that may be added to the desktop,
> I'd like to propose all of them. And even then, I won't stop
> working on the "refused" tools :-P

It's hard to guess the consensus, but it looks like people would like to
include the time and network tools.

In preparation for that, and to make that decision easier, I think it would
be a good idea to either
a) package those tools separately, and maybe move the rest into GNOME System
Tools extra, or
b) talk to the gnome-control-center maintainers about merging them into
gnome-control-center.

Please don't wait for the new-modules decision before doing that.

Personally, I would even like to include the extra tools in GNOME 2.6. If
they were in a separate package then distros would find it easier not to
ship the ones that didn't meet their needs yet.

> The main reason for packaging the tools altogether is because
> they have a strong common component (ie: network and time
> backends need the services backend for starting/stopping smbd
> and ntpd, or just src/commom, used in all the frontends)

Can we have the services backend without the services GUI? Maybe that would
be a solution.

Of course I am completely ignoring the discussion of the overall
organisation of the control panels that we might want to have on a regular
basis whenever adding things. I'm just trying to push this forwards in the
absence of anybody else doing it.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net