Re: gnome DPI autocalculating

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 19:08, Marcin Krzyzanowski wrote:

> there you can find are patches against :
> control-center-2.4.0
> gnome-desktop-2.4.1.1
>
> That allow to enable/disable automatic DPI calculation in GNOME.
>
> Just in case if anybody need it.
> What do you think ?
>

> PS. in addition there are various patches that we use in PLD against
> control-center if somebody need :
> http://krzak.linux.net.pl/gnome/control-center/

I can't think of any cases where you want the font DPI to follow what
the monitor reports. There are two possibilities:

 A) The monitor is wrong (happens frequently)

 B) The monitor is right

In B) you'd think you'd want to use the resolution, but actually:

 * It's not what user's want. User's typically, when they reduce
   the resolution, do that to make fonts (etc.) bigger.

 * Angular resolution is far more important than linear resolution;
   you don't want 3pt fonts on your 10-foot projection screen

In the ideal world of 200dpi screens and all graphics scalable,
DPI will become a simpler thing to manage - though still it's really
the overall "scale" and that won't necessarily correspond to physical
DPI. But in the current world, keeping the point_size => pixel number
fixed at 96 is right for most users, and letting it be set manually
should be sufficient power for the rest.

Regards,
					Owen