Re: Desktop-wide database

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:25, ungarlando libero it wrote:

> My curiosity:
> i think that using a single desktop-wide database should be a nice thing, in
> particular w.r.t. coding ease, but also in relation to general design elegance.
>  There are a lot of free software DBMSs which would manage it efficiently and
> with powerful features...
> By "desktop-wide" database I mean a single database or set of databases, storing
> all the info we now manage in a per-application or dedicated way... Think of the
> following software
> - gconf
> - rhythmbox
> - the thumbnails freedesktop spec
> - evolution contacts
> ... and a lot others...

That is what the Storage project is, and more.
http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/

To some degree this information is metadata and may be more
appropriately handled my a metadata database is I considered as a
replacement for the Medusa search engine.
http://members.cox.net/sinzui/sutra/index.html

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.