Re: Large slowdowns / networking related

Hi Joshua,

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 21:53, Joshua Eichorn wrote:
> I actually just ran into this on a co-workers redhat 8 machine.  He
> added a bogus nameserver to the top of his resolv.conf and every app
> took 3 or 4 seconds to start.  Might be hard to detect but if looking up
> your own hostname takes a long time things do slow down.

	OTOH, it should be possible to detect this relatively easily with a
simple test program; we can simply time a couple of lookups of your own
hostname, and throw up a warning at login time if it's a real problem.

	Having said that, I'm keen to know where we're doing that lookup, since
there should be no real need to do so; can you get an strace /
stack-trace of the offending lookup ?

	Thanks,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot