Re: Release Team's Almost-Final Modules List

Hi mark :-),

<snip>

> What problems have you been having porting them? Maybe somone here can
> help. Have you tried porting the backends? I'm told that they're pretty
> self explanitory, and from looking at the backend scripts I'd agree. I
> don't have a clue how different BSD's layout is to linux but it can't be
> impossible. If you have trouble maybe should should main
> setup-tool-hackers lists ximian com ....

IMHO the biggest problem we have is the BSD init, but I think that it can
be abstracted to the almost the same concept than sysV (starting and
stopping services) in fact, I'm adding now support for file-rc and it can
be translated perfectly to the same XML (and gentoo init should follow the
same way)

(and anyways, slackware uses BSD init too, and is planned to be fully
supported)

<snip>

> I think that this is always an important factor, but due to the unique
> nature of the gst I think it's less important than usual. The fact is
> the gst are designed to be ported, the porting just isn't finished yet.
> The user tool already has support for freebsd 4 and 5 AFAICT. What they
> really needs is some interest so that they will get ported further.
> Which is what I think will happen if they are included.
>
> There are also a lot of linuxes that aren't supported, and we will never
> support them all, but if we aren't happy with that then we shouldn't
> ship them at all.

OTOH, there are lots of distros that are based on other distros that are
already supported, so adding them would suppose minimum changes to GST :-)

For further information about the supported distros, I suggest to visit
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/distros.php, It's a bit outdated, and
there have been a few additions (such as PLD linux) and distro updates,
but its orientative enough.

	Regards