Re: Sound Juicer for 2.4?

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 18:44, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 10:13, Ross Burton wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:04, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > > How do you launch it?  Does it have a menu entry?  Should it have a menu
> > > entry?  Could we hook it up to magicdev and/or gnome-cd?
> >
> > At present it has a menu entry "CD Ripper" under Sound & Video.  There
> > is talk that it would be better to be integrated into gnome-cd, and
> > Colin Walters has expressed interest in integrating it into Rhythmbox as
> > well.
>
> It is my sense that both/either of these would be much more appropriate
> than having s-j be a standalone module in the desktop.
>
> Sadly, I can't exactly put my finger on why I feel this way. I think it
> is basically something along the lines of 'why is ripping so distinct
> from other uses of a CD that it merits it's own application?' It seems
> to me that either the KDE solution (look at CD in konqueror, drag the
> files, *boom* you have music files) or the apple solution (open CD
> player, hit rip button, *boom* you have files) both seem more
> obvious/intuitive to me, no matter how clean and lightweight the s-j UI
> is.
>
> Sorry that this is so vague- I hope someone else who feels similarly can
> pick up the ball and make what I'm saying more clear :)

I agree.

It would also be nice to have a CD player app that uses CDDA to read the
data and send it digitally to the audio card. Windows XP does this,
which is causing many modern machines to ship without the cable between
the CD drive and the audio card. It seems s-j could be a good base for
such a CD player.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a jaded albino messiah who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a wealthy
foul-mouthed snake charmer who can talk to animals. They fight crime!