Re: Sound Juicer for 2.4?

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:04, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> How do you launch it?  Does it have a menu entry?  Should it have a menu
> entry?  Could we hook it up to magicdev and/or gnome-cd?

At present it has a menu entry "CD Ripper" under Sound & Video.  There
is talk that it would be better to be integrated into gnome-cd, and
Colin Walters has expressed interest in integrating it into Rhythmbox as
well.

> > It does need more work before I'd consider it "ready", for example the
> > musicbrainz dependency could be removed (changed to gnome-media) and it
> > doesn't monitor the CD drive.
>
> What is musicbrainz for?  If it is a necessary and stable dependency, I
> suppose it's alright (though their name needz work).  It seems that
> integrating this into gnome-media might make some sense anyway.

Musicbrainz is essentially an album metadata server, similar to CDDB but
more powerful. You can lookup CDs, albums, artists and follow the
metadata links. Musicbrainz can also identify a song from a sample, so
can be used to identify random Ogg/MP3s.

I think that Musicbrainz should be available in gnome-cd -- it would be
nice for it to be able to give a list of other albums the current artist
has done for example.

Also, if musicbrainz had an identical GObject-like API as CDDB in
gnome-media, sj could use either...

All in all, as much as I would like SJ to be in G2.4, I would also like
SJ to develop into a complete solution to the audio CD issue.  Really
the interface is just a test bed for the underlying SjExtractor GObject.

Regards,
Ross
                                      jabber: ross jabber debian net
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./