Re: gnome_url_show problems

> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 08:22, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 22:41, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
>> > Do you have gimp installed?  My gnome-terminal was opening up Image
>> URLs
>> > with gimp.  (freaked me out..)
>>
>> There was some changes to how show_url works. We removed the special
>> setting for http urls, and instead we look at the type of the file the
>> URL points to, and pick an application that can handle the
>> mimetype/file.
>
> yes please re-implement http method - on my system (all up to date cvs),
> every url hangs evolution.

You can do this yourself using the File Types control panel. Just add a
'http' Internet Service and enable it. Any app that uses url_show with an
http url will now open in the url handler you setup there. You might also
want to define other handlers like https, ftp and mailto.

Also note that if there is no special service defined, then url_show will
look up the file type and its default application and then open the file
using that default. To change the default use the control panel or
right-click on a file of that type in Nautilus and choose 'Open->With' to
pick a new default application. That's the reason the gnome-terminal
opened image urls with gimp, since that was the default application.

It would be nice to add a url_show variation that lets an app pick between
using the default application or the default viewer. For the terminal the
default viewer would probably make more sense.

Cheers,

- Frank