RE: 2.4 Proposed New Modules - System Tools

Hey,

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 15:38, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: German Poo Caaman~o [mailto:gpoo ubiobio cl]
> > > 1. What's the relationship between gnome-system-tools and
> > gnome-network?
> > > Should they be combined?
> >
> > g-s-t:  Admins task (such as configure networks cards, set domain
> >  and hostname, add users, etc.)
> > g-n: Network users tools (such as network cards informacion (aka.
> >  ifconfig), ping, traceroute, netstat, dns querys, desktop sharing,
> >  ssh/telnet, etc.)
>
> So, gnome-network stuff is just utilties, and never something to change a
> system's network configuration? If so, that's a good clear distinction. I
> highly recommend that you write _something_ here:
> http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-network/README

	I've just had a quick look at it. It contains:

  * gnome-backup:

	A tool for backing up different sets of configuration. At the moment it
offers the choice between backing up ~/.gconf and ~/evolution.
I assume that it will offer the choice to backup the data remotely and
that's the relevance to gnome-network ...

	I can't get it to do anything for me right now, but it looks promising
considering it was only started 7 days ago :-)

  * gnome-remote-desktop:

	Allows you to spawn Xnest or VNC to login remotely using XDMCP.

  * gnome-netinfo:

	Quite a nifty little utility to give a GUI for ping, netstat,
traceroute and ifconfig and to do portscans.

	(If you build the tool so that (e.g. ifconfig) isn't found, things
don't work. So, make sure it finds your ifconfig etc.)

  * gnome-remote-shell:

	Allows you to run gnome-terminal with either a ssh or telnet commant.

	Shouldn't this respect /desktop/gnome/applications/terminal ?

	(There are some others that haven't been ported to 2.2 and aren't
built)

Good Luck,
Mark.