Re: (no subject)

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at  8:23:52 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I'd be worried that if we changed distcheck that the .pot and
> less maintained .po files are going to get vastly out of sync
> with the sources since no-one is responsible for updating them in CVS.
>
> It is unfortunate that we have a race condition where a translator
> can get conflicts with a .po file they are working on, but the only
> alternative seems to be to *never* update the .po files, which seems
> to pose its own dangers.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter of the .po files get out of
sync with the sources. The only thing that matters is
whether the translations are up to date.

I am certain that translators understand the need to update
the pot before translating. It's listed as step 4 in the
"How to update an existing translation" section of
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/translator.html;
if translators used the pot from the last time the
maintainer ran "make dist", the translations would always be
out of date; and from what I've seen of gucharmap
translations, translators know what to do.

Noah