(no subject)

Hi,

The (really nice) module releasing HOWTO sent by Mark McLoughlin some
time ago, contains these steps as part of a module release process:
* run make distcheck
* do a cvs commit
* tag the release

make distcheck has the unfortunate side effect of modifying all po
files, so all translations end up being updated in cvs each time a
module is released. These modifications of the po files don't bring
anything (they don't add or remove translated strings, they mostly
change line numbers in all comments in those files and stuff like that).

On the other hand, if a translator has a modified po file on his
computer that he hasn't committed yet, the next time he cvs updates,
he'll get a conflict for most of the strings in this file, which makes
resolving the conflicts next to impossible.

I raised this problem on #i18n asking if the modified po files should be
committed before releasing a module or not, and basically I got 2
distinct point of views:

* translator point of view: when a maintainer updates all the po files
in a module, it doesn't bring anything, and potentially ruins some
translator work. The updated po files shouldn't be committed.

* developer point of view: a tarball content must exactly match what is
tagged in CVS. The updated po files must be committed, or the build
tools must be fixed not to modify those po files (the build tools still
need to check the validity of those files though).

I tend to agree with the translator point of view (to be frank, I'm also
translating stuff from time to time ;) and I think it's worth bringing
that problem up for discussion so that all modules owners do the same
thing when they make a release.

Cheers,

Christophe