Re: (no subject)

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 08:28:59AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 08:07, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote
>
> > [Note for those who may be concerned: not having completely up-to-date
> > po files in tarballs is not a problem. The generated MO files used the
> > original strings to look up the translations, not the line numbers in
> > the comments of the PO file or anything like that.]
>

> Does 'make update-po' use the line numbers?

Only as might happen in the call to msgmerge.

> It seems that at least potentially that the results of:
>
>  Change code  ; msgmerge
>  Change code  ; msgmerge
>  Change code  ; msgmerge
>
> Might be different than:
>
>  Change code ; change code ; change code ; msgmerge

I am not sure I understand what you are getting at here.  You may have
raised a perfectly good insurmountable hurdle, but I think I am too
stupid to understand it. :-(

My understanding is that possibly the results could be different, but
does it matter? The point I was trying to make above (and I may have
overstated the applicability of it) is that when the MO files are
generated, none of the line number or filename comments matter.  The MO
format stores each distinct string in a sorted table and looks them up
via a binary search (at least in the GNU implementation).

What problem are you trying to avoid here, Owen?

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.