Re: galeon

Hello:
I have two pc in a cafe (free to use) with linux, and nobody ever
complained about Galeon, the web browser.
Well, in fact they did, and you know what they complain about?
They don't know where or how to download the files they want. I go crazy
explaining them that on the left of the gnome "file-selector" are
located the folders: "which folders? they are just names?" and on the
right the files. "Oh, I'm in the wrong folder how can I go back?""well,
you have to double-click the two little points in the "folder"
view""Uhm? the 50 year old user says, what two points" as his nose
strikes the display. Then goes the "go to /, then scroll down to /mnt,
no not so down, there!, no no so up, and then click on floppy. Now you
can press Accept, fiuuu.
I can tell you more stuff about this, like the folders users create at
$HOME with the name "a:" etc, but I guess all of you have taken my
intention.
As user (and somebody who works with other users), in a priority list,
Galeon 1.3.x or a gnome browser is not, by far in the top five
applications that needs anything to be changed.
The file-selector has gone a long way in this situation and soon users,
not me as I am a gnome fan, will start loosing interest in an enviroment
where the most used interface element is prehistoric. And, from what I
talked to other users or new users, most of them gave up gnome because
of that. At least with gtk 1.x we had the advanced file selector,
something I installed everywhere. But now we are helpless.
People don't understand about releases, If somebody tells me, hey help
me with linux or get me a copy, I just cannot tell him/her: "hey, you
know what's one of the best things about linux?: choice. but...., can
you please wait until the gnome 2.6.x release to test both main desktop
enviroments? and also evolution, galeon, gedit, abiword, sodipodi, gimp,
gnumeric, and hundreds of gtk or gtk/gnome applications that use the
gnome "file-selector".
You may believe me or not. As I am a "no importance" user. But if I had
any importance please, rethink everything about all this HIGification of
applications and not giving a proper codebase for users and developers,
at leat on this "file selector" issue.

Thanks to you all for your time (and sorry for the bad english):

Nestor Diaz
gnuva.hispalinux.es
augcyl.org
hispalinux.es
gimp.es.gnome.org

ps: I have no relation with Philip or anybody at the galeon team. Keep
up the good work.