RE: Major change -- L10n

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 15:26, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Alexander Larsson [mailto:alexl redhat com]
> > > This point hasn't shown up in the discussion yet:
> > > What about l10n? The ~/Desktop directory can not be
> >
> > At the moment the directory is always named "Directory". However, this
> > could be solved by having a gconf setting for the desktop directory
> > name. The first time someone logs in and the key is not set we just
> > generate a translated directory name and put it in gconf.
>
> This gets very silly in Windows very fast. For instance, various versions of
> Windows, but maybe not later versions, localize things like "Program Files"
> to "Programme Datein". Inevitably most german Windows installations end up
> with both. We don't localize "home", by the way.
>
> I think some things just have to remain part of the implementation and some
> things can be part of the presentation of that implementation. So, we could
> show a different name in the FileSelector for instance, but not change the
> actual path on the disk. But even that could be problematic.
>
> Not everything is going to use gconf.

Can't it be localised within Nautilus using .directory files or
something? Then the logical path is always the same, but is displayed
nice for i18n.

I may be remembering this wrong, and can't search google for
".directory" :-)

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"A freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." -- unknown