RE: GnomeMeeting / OpenH323 [Was: 2.4 Module List]

I'm picking up this old thread rather than showing my ignorance by starting
a new one:

> To: Jeff Waugh
> > GnomeMeeting would be totally cool. Are OpenH323 and pwlib
> easier to build
> > these days? It's basically not included in GARNOME simply
> because they're
> > such a pain! :-)
>
> I met somebody who had done a garbuild, it is a bit simpler
> than before,
> basically 5 steps :
> - export PWLIBDIR and OPENH323DIR to the right values
> - make optshared
> - make install
>
> The API/ABI incompatibility still sometimes breaks between versions
> however.

Can we make a core GNOME Desktop module depend on API/ABI-unstable
libraries?
I know there are other officially unstable dependencies (various obsucre
GTK+ image-processing dependencies, I think), but these seem to have at
least stagnated. Would we be asking the impossible of distros? [1] And I
know that gstreamer is also API/ABI unstable, but we at least have some
control over that.

Can we influence the OpenH323 and pwlib people to build their software
properly and branch for API stability/development?

[1] GnomeMeeting doesn't seem to be in RedHat 9, though I could be wrong.
There must be a good reason for that.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com