Re: My (ongoing) analysis of the proposed modules

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 02:26, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 16:25, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >   http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/screeds/twofourmodules.html
>
> I'm going to paste bits of this inline and add my own /personal/
> thoughts and comments, after having read all the mail from while I was
> away. I'd love to get a more formal version up as an update to both GEPs
> in the next 24-48 hours, but I'm not sure of how to best go about that
> [see some of my reservations in 'How this all works...' for why.]
<snip>
> |totem
> [yes, with very, very serious reservations about the xine thing]
>
> Pros: we need a media player; it's a standard component in every OS now.
> And totem is a very nice one, that plays nice with GNOME and the UI
> team.
>
> Cons: having confusion about what is 'our' media backend is very, very
> bad. Either we made a mistake going with gstreamer, and we need to fix
> that, or we need to work to make gstreamer more robust. I'd suggest that
> xine releases from here until 2.4 use gstreamer by default, so we can
> shake out the bugs and know /exactly/ where we stand. To me, knowing
> where gstreamer and xine fit in our future for 2.6 and beyond is more
> important than having a media player in 2.4, so I'm (effectively) saying
> totem+gstreamer needs to be our testbed for that right now.

(I'll ignore the xine/Totem confusion, I don't think that "xine releases
[...] use gstreamer by default")

Hmm, using the GStreamer backend by default in Totem would mean a *huge*
regression. I'm already introducing regressions (in the xine backend) to
make the gst backend happy, and the bugs are getting worked out.

Right now the gst backend is missing:
- error handling (this is the big one)
- DVD, CD and VCD playback
- dxr3/tv-out support
- general codec/plugins fixes and support

So I'm not changing the default backend, I'd rather not have Totem in
the desktop release.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault