Re: gnopernicus [Was: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left]

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 15:02, Bill Haneman wrote:
> From a gnome desktop perspective, the graphical GNOME-ish-ness of
> gnopernicus might not be so important - what's most important is that it
> meet the needs of its user base and allow them a high-quality, usable
> GNOME experience which they would not otherwise be able to access.

The graphical GNOME-ish-ness /is/ important. To the average user who
stumbles across this (if we include it in gnome proper) is going to
wonder why there is this application that doesn't look anything at all
like anything else. If we just want to claim a11y, we should have an
accessibility package. If we want to claim that all of GNOME is an
integrated whole, then everything needs to at least try to play by the
same rules- that goes for usability just as it should for a11y.

Note that this is mostly hypothetical; gok and gnopernicus seem mostly
better now than before, even if still in obvious need of usability love.

Perhaps most importantly, I'd be willing to bet that gok and gnopernicus
will get a lot of actual community feedback and even patches and fixes
once we get it out there. epiphany will see the same wrt a11y, I'm sure.
The mere /discussion/ of gok and gnopernicus as parts of gnome has
prompted a lot of people to build it who never would have before; I'm
sure that will only improve as we go forward.

Luis