Re: [gedit-list] RE: My (ongoing) analysis of the proposed modules

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 21:26, Ludootje wrote:
> Op ma 12-05-2003, om 09:09 schreef Murray Cumming Comneon com:
>
> > > We think it should be
> > > possible to add a command line parameter to disable syntax
> > > highlighting
> > > and all the plugins.
> > > In this way we could have a gnome-text-editor script that calls gedit
> > > with the --I-want-a-simple-text-editor parameter.
> >
> > Less options and better defaults, I think.
>
> Why? Keeping gedit lightweight is important I think, since that was its
> original goal. Options are good, because they give you the possibility
> to use what you want, and to configure it more to your liking. Isn't
> that what GNU/Linux and similar OS's is all about for many of us?
> The end user should be able to choose what plugins etc. (s)he wants
> IMHO.

Murray was proposing not having an option to disable the plugins, so
that the user would always be able to see them and choose them. He was
proposing not having 2 morphs of gedit, that behaved and needed to be
tested separately.

It's all here:

http://ometer.com/free-software-ui.html

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"A freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." -- unknown