Re: Panel behaviour under Xinerama

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 16:27, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Bill Haneman">
>
> > What you describe (Xinerama as a way to drag across screens) is, to the
> > best of my knowledge, an interesting *use* of Xinerama but it is not what
> > the Xinerama extension was originally created to do
>
> I would fall off my chair if it wasn't. Please describe what you mean by
> "classic Xinerama", and why it was implemented.

OK, as explained to me in the context of X.org, customers, etc;

xinerama is an X extension allowing a server to create a single virtual
screen from multiple framebuffers.  That virtual screen tiles the
physical framebuffers into an M x N array which is *transparent to
apps*, and which was used to create "one big display" from smaller
framebuffers.  Primary use case was "wall of monitors", i.e. monitors
arranged in rows/columns.  This was Xinerama as implemented in XSun
before it had any existance in XFree86, as I understand it.

The customer expectations were (for our purposes anyhow) very clearly on
the side of the "one tiled display" interpretation.

Obviously it makes a difference who you are argui^H^H^H^H^Hasking; other
people think it's "obviously" supposed to be a multiscreen-for-dummies
or something.

- Bill