Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 18:30, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> As other people have said, maybe we need to define more release
> categories than the current Platform - Desktop - Office - 5th toe
> (everything else) ones.

How about this:
* Developer plattform
* Desktop (just the desktop, no applications that aren't part of the
desktop like Nautilus)
* Core Applications (or some other name; providing a common toolset
which basically everyone needs, text editor, PDF viewer, calculator,
email, browser, VOIP, ... :))
* Fifth toe (non-essential but "gnome certified" applications)

The simple reasoning for this is:
If someone installs GNOME, it can be only one of two cases ...
1) The user is installing a distribution, in this case the distribution
will already install a selected set of useful applications.
2) The user is installing GNOME for the first time, but in this case she
will already own a set of applications (for example Mozilla and KDE).

Thus in every case, the argument "a desktop without applications is
useless" doesn't hold, because the user already owns a set of
applications. Heck, it could be that the user is using mostly GNOME
applications but did never install the desktop before. :) Or when
upgrading, the user might want to just upgrade his desktop but not the
applications. Why shouldn't he? After all this should work and not cause
complications. Of course applications which somehow interact with the
desktop to provide certain functionality (yelp comes to mind to view the
help) should be part of the desktop.
Well that's just my suggestion. A humble one. :)

Daniel