RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

> When MS first bundled netmeeting, they were trying to increase use as it
> was _not_ widely used. Is it widely used now? I don't think so, in
> non-business use. People generally use IM. Why? Possibly simply due to

Netmeeting was widely used until servers get polluted by sex and porn
entries which gave a bad reputation to Netmeeting. People prefered to
use other H.323 software or directly H.323 hardware at least in
companies, while normal people had a bad vision of Netmeeting.

> marketing, possibly because people don't want to set up their soundcard
> microphone, possibly because it doesn't have any advantages over IM when
> you consider the lags involved in sending voice over the internet.

It seems you never tried GnomeMeeting either.

> GnomeMeeting, you say, is integrated with GNOME. If that's the case, our
> libraries are good enough that it will be just as integrated whether it
> is distributed with GNOME or not. We don't need to bundle everything in
> order to have a powerful desktop.
>
> You get gconf and instant-apply preferences. You get a weird tray icon
> on the panel. You get method-abstracted file access. And that's the
> technology behind a powerful desktop, and what makes GnomeMeeting
> powerful if it uses it. Not bundling.

There is no point for me to make my best complying to the HIG and to
force non-GNOME users to install the GNOME libraries in order to run
GnomeMeeting if GnomeMeeting remains one of the few applications to stay
in 5th Toe while other applications are going in the core. I can also
achieve the same level of functionnality without depending on GNOME at
all.

--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org