Re: Replacing xscreensaver

sön 2003-05-04 klockan 18.38 skrev Jeff Waugh:
> > > Perhaps writing a new frontend/daemon that still works with existing
> > > xscreensaver hacks? Someone *might* even be able to get buy-in from jwz if
> > > they're suitably obsequious.
> >
> > If the new frontend land inside the official xscreensaver
>
> It's probably something we'd keep in GNOME CVS; I doubt very strongly that
> jwz would take it, though he *might* (must be stressed) consider the concept
> of multiple frontends/daemons to a standardised hacks "protocol" (which is
> basically already there anyway).

Sounds like a solution that would solve most of the problems with a
locking screen, provided that such a frontend would land in GNOME CVS in
order to help development, QA and translations.

One area though that I'm not sure this would solve is the localization
of individual screensavers -- some screensavers display text that is in
severe need of localization (think clocks and date formats) and possible
other issues that are culturally bound. Perhaps we need to reduce/modify
the set of screensavers that are shipped.

Christian