Re: gnome-themes-extras in GNOME 2.4

On Friday 02 May 2003 06:00, Jeff Waugh wrote:
|  <quote who="Havoc Pennington">
|
|  > On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:23:56AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
|  > > It's easy enough to switch some themes if we decide that, say, Gorilla
|  > > would be more useful or appealing to our users than Grand Canyon. (I
|  > > would support the replacement of Grand Canyon with Gorilla, anyway.)
|  > > gnome-themes should only have about 6 themes in it, max.
|  >
|  > If they're all good and all maintained, I don't see the problem with
|  > having more than that. What harm does it do? Longer download times?
|  >
|  > Assuming they're a good balance and they all "feel" worthwhile.
|
|  Too many items in the theme prefs dialogue. I'd certainly lean towards
|  having 6 or 7 of the best / most usable, and letting interested users
|  discover more if they care about it (we ought to make that process easier
|  too, but that's a whole other conversation).
|
|  Already in my list, I have:
|
|    Bluecurve
|    Crux
|    Dubcurve
|    Grand Canyon
|    High Contrast
|    High Contrast Inverse
|    Large Print
|    Mist
|    Ocean Dream
|    Simple
|    Smokey Blue
|    SphereCrystal
|    Traditional

The real fix would be tomove to SVG-based themes with SVG icons/ UI elements
designed with CSS (Cascaded Style Sheets).
Than you can tune SVG images by changing CSS, and all (well-designed) icons
inside that theme would respect your changes.
Therefor, you can at least avoid installation of XXX-Pumpkin, XXX-Blue,
XXX-Green variants of one theme.
But this requires a lot of efforts, and in particular - to both drawing apps
(Sodipodi) and renderer (librsvg and/or xsvg).

--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net